Recommended Products and Resources for your Llewellin Setter
The following are products that I personally have used and recommend for your Llewellin Setter. I’ve included everything from recommended puppy and dog foods, treats, dog toys, grooming equipment, training gear specific for your Llewellin Setter, the best dog beds, and upland hunting gear from boots to jackets and books!
Note: I will only recommend products, services, etc., that I have personally used. Some of the products I recommend are affiliate links that I make a small commission on if you purchase via the link. It is of absolutely no extra cost to you.
Llewellin Setter Gear:
- Mendota Slip Lead (pictured). Made in the USA. My favorite lead. I go nowhere without one or five. 😉
- Mendota Show Lead
- Delmar Smith Wonder lead, available at Gun Dog Supply
- Princeton Tec Remix Headlamp. Read my review.
- Kleenbore Gun Care Kit (20 guage)
- Rite In The Rain Upland Hunting Journal Kit
- Musher’s Secret All Natural Paw Wax
- Swiss Hunting Bells or many bells at Gun Dog Supply
My Favorite Tracking and eCollars
- Garmin Alpha 100 Train & Tracking Bundle
- Garmin Astro 320 T5 GPS Dog Tracking System Bundle
- Garmin Pro 70 Training Collar (Training collar system–no tracking–with 1-mile range, tone, and stimulation, beacon light for night, and bark limiter all in one. Expandable for up to 6 dogs) Highly recommended.
- Garmin Pro 550 Training Collar (Up to 3 dogs, 1-mile range, tone, vibration, and more levels of stimulation than the Pro 70, beacon light, bark limiter, can also control an added beeper). This is the system I use now over the Pro 70 because I like the use of vibration.
My Favorite Collars
- GoDoggie Glow Collars (USB rechargeable glow collar for night time). Excellent.
- Sport Dog Locator Beacon – Green Absolutely amazing little beacon light that attaches to collars so you can locate your dog at night and helps make him visible to others.
- Blueberry Pet 3M Reflective Dog Collars
- 3/4 in. K-9 Komfort Reflective Dee-End Puppy / Small Dog Collar (I prefer these collars and in 3/4″ because a bell can slip on to the 3/4″ size).
Products for Flying Llewellin Setter Puppies:
- Petmate Vari Kennel (medium – 28″ x 20.5″ x 21.5″). Recommended crate for flying an 8-12 week-old puppy.
- Petmate Sky Kennel (medium: 28 x 20.5 x 21.5). Recommended crate for flying an 8-12 week-old puppy.
- Pet Airline Kit (includes the necessary 2 cups, crate liner, and live animal labels). I recommend this kit.
- Lanca 1 No Spill Cups (attaches to crate door and you need 2 of these).
- Snap’y Fit Stainless Steel bowls (attaches to crate door and you need 2 of them). Note, if you can not find them reasonable on Amazon, I try to order these in bulk when I can find a good price (should be less than $8 each). I get the 10 oz. size for puppy crates.
- Quiet Time Pet Bed to fit crate above for flying.
Recommended Llewellin Setter Toys
- Tuffy Dog Toys
- Fat Cat Dog Toys
- Ethical Pets Dog Toys
- Antler Chews for Dogs
My Favorite Dog Bed for our Llewellin Setters
The Kuranda Dog Bed is my absolute favorite dog bed. They are orthopedic, chew proof, and easy to clean. The design gets the dogs and puppies up off the floor. The beds can be used inside and out and they come with a chew guarantee! You can add a fleece pad for extra cushion and warmth in the winter. Remove the fleece for summer, the dogs love the air circulation. Kuranda has many styles and fabrics to choose from and they even have the fleece pads, a version to fit different size crates, and even a bunk bed version! You can buy replacement parts and more.
Products For Grooming Your Llewellin Setter
- Andis AGRV PowerGroom+ Clipper with #10 blade.
Mars Coat King Stripper. Stainless w/wooden handle. All I can say is I don’t know how I ever lived without this! I use a coarse 8-blade and a fine 16-blade. Simply the best grooming tool I have ever purchased for my Llewellin Setters. Worth every penny and will last years and years. You can also purchase replacement heads.
- Adjustable Height Folding Tables
- Resco Professional Pin Comb
- Nail Trimmers
- Adjustable Grooming Arm with clamp
- Dog grooming harness
Recommended Foods for Your Llewellin Setter
Commercial Raw and/or Freeze Dried/Dehydrated Foods (First choice for your dog or puppy):
- BJ’s Raw Pet Food
- Iron Will Raw (Only available in Canada and they currently do not ship to the U.S.)
- Open Farm Freeze Dried I use Open Farm Freeze Dried when traveling especially, but Totem grew up on it and the puppy kibble while transitioning to raw. She goes crazy for the freeze-dried. It is so nice to have on hand while traveling especially for breakfast or when I was exhausted from all-day hunting and had forgotten to take raw food out to thaw in the morning. When on the road, I couldn’t receive my usual subscriptions to raw (from Darwins and wasn’t near stores that carried Steve’s or Viva, etc.) so having a huge stash of Open Farm Freeze Dried was essential.
- Steves Real Food Available at better pet food stores and online.
- The Simple Food Project
- Viva Raw Pets
- Open Farm
Products I Recommend for Excellent Health of Your Llewellin Setter
- Coconut Oil (Read why you should give it to your dog in the article here)
- Only Natural Pet Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil 20 oz
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth I absolutely recommend giving your puppy/dog Diatomaceous Earth every single day of their life. DE on their food is a natural dewormer, detoxification agent, contains trace minerals, reduces odor in elimination, reduces flies, sweeps viruses and bacteria from the system, and more. It is absolutely amazing. Before you get your puppy, order Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. Sprinkle it on bedding. Sprinkle it on your dog for tick and flea control. Sprinkle it on their food.
- New Zealand Colostrum (Click here for a facinating article by a veterinarian and how he now uses Colostrum in his veterinary practice.)
- Weston Pro Series Electric Meat Grinder A 2 horsepower commercial-grade meat grinder for making your raw food.
My Favorite Upland Hunting Boots
A comfortable, waterproof boot is essential in the field. I can personally say Le Chameau makes the best. It is an investment in your feet that will outlast any other boot. My favorites for upland hunting are:
Everything made by Le Chameau receives rave reviews. The Chassiers and Jamesons are the two I can make personal recommendations on, owning both myself. Read my review on boots here.
Upland Hunting Jacket:
- Columbia Men’s Ptarmigan II Jacket. My personal upland hunting jacket. Read my review here.
Non-toxic Tick Products for Your Llewellin Setter:
- Beneficial nematodes and on Amazon.
- Sources on Amazon for Foodgrade Diatomaceous Earth
- TripleSure Natural Flea & Tick Spray. (My personal absolute favorite) Formulated with Peppermint and Cedar oils and kills and repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, bed bugs, mites, mange, lice, stinging insects and is safe enough for puppies and kittens. Available in different sizes, I get the gallon and use it around the yard, on bedding–theirs and mine–on the porches, etc. It is excellent and smells fantastic.
- Cedarcide Flea and Tick Mite Ants Mosquitoes Chigger Spray. This is another favorite that I have on hand because it is safe for children and pets. It smells amazing. You can fog your yard, your home, bedding. Spray it on the dogs, yourself, etc.
- Raw garlic. Read the post about non toxic tick and flea control.
Resources for Your Kennel Website:
- WordPress Hosting by Bluehost
- WordPress Hosting by Siteground (where this site is hosted).
- Beautiful Premium WordPress Themes
- ConvertKit for growing your email list. I absolutely love ConvertKit!
My Favorite Books/Publications:
- 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method by Tamar Geller
- Wing & Shot gun dog training by Robert C. Wehle
- Snakefoot: The Making of Champion by Robert C. Wehle
- Grouse Feathers by Burton L. Spiller (iTunes Link)
- Grouse Feathers Again by Burton Spiller (iTunes Link)
- Serious Grouse Hunting, Book 1: Ruffed Grouse, Of Course by Jay C. Kumar and Brendan T. Haines
You must be logged in to post a comment.