Listed are what I feel are the best dog foods for your Llewellin Setter.
I believe with every ounce of me that you should feed the very best you possibly can. What you put into your dog starting as a puppy will absolutely, without a doubt, make the difference in his health for the rest of his life—which, I also feel will be extended by several years—and be disease-free. Spending a little extra in the quality of food you feed your dog will save you thousands in vet bills later and extend your dog’s life and enhance the quality.
Note & Disclosure: I will only recommend products, services, etc., that I have personally used. Some of the products I recommend are affiliate links that I make a small commission on if you purchase via the link. It is of absolutely no extra cost to you. I simply sometimes receive a tiny portion of the sale. I am a huge fan of purchasing on Amazon, if I cannot find the item locally. I love their service, return policies, customer ratings and reviews, and the very competitive prices. Amazon Prime members receive free 2-day shipping on most items (not all items are eligible for free shipping). Please, first support local small businesses!
In order of best choices to worst:
- A complete, balanced home-prepared Raw diet.
- You’ll need the book, “Dr. Becker’s Real Food for Healthy Cats and Dogs“
- Commercially prepared frozen complete Raw diet
- Commercially prepared dehydrated/freeze-dried complete diet
- Human-grade canned & kibble
- Super-premium kibble
I believe all foods should be:
- Organic if possible
- Free-range (pastured) meat
- Sourced within the U.S. or Canada, or New Zealand
- No food you feed your dog should include corn, wheat, soy, or oats.
- No food should list unnamed meat sources (e.g., “meat meal”, “meat by-products”). The first 6 ingredients listed on the dog food are the most important.
Switch food brands/manufacturers and protein sources often. This is the best way to be certain your dog is receiving a well-balanced diet.
I now feel quality of ingredients and the freshest possible ingredients is most important and a bag of processed dry dog food is not it any of these things.
Commercial Raw and/or Dehydrated Dog Foods (First choice for your dog or puppy):
- The Honest Kitchen (100% human-grade ingredients and dehydrated–just add water to hydrate and serve!)
- Wysong Raw Pet Food
- Sojos – Homemade Pet Food Made Easy
- Primal Dehydrated Foods:
Only Natural Pet Grain-Free MaxMeat Air-Dried Dog Food
Available in Beef, Chicken, and/or Lamb & Cod (I absolutely love this stuff!!!)
- Wysong Holistic Dog Food
- Only Natural Pet Canine PowerFood
- Precise Holistic Complete (Adult)
- Precise Holistic Complete Large Breed Puppy
- Pure Vita – Holistic
- Planet Organics
- Nutri Source Large Breed Puppy
Human-grade Canned Dog Foods
Human-grade canned dog foods can be an excellent addition, so if you have more money than time, human-grade canned foods are an excellent addition.
Note: I sometimes use affiliate links wherein if you purchase using one of the links, I receive a small referral fee which is of no extra cost to you whatsoever. I only recommend or affiliate with products or companies I’ve tried myself.