This page was last updated on May 22, 2003.
Listed are what I feel are the best dog foods for your Llewellin Setter. After raising over a hundred of pups and dogs over the past 25 years I’ve learned a lot. I’ve seen a lot. I’ve seen the difference food makes.
I believe with every ounce of me that you should feed the very best you possibly can. What you put into your dog starting as a puppy will absolutely, without a doubt, make the difference in his health for the rest of his life—which, I also feel will be extended by several years—and be disease-free. Spending a little extra in the quality of food you feed your dog will save you thousands in vet bills later and extend your dog’s life and enhance the quality.
First, I highly recommend obtaining the following books:
Next, head over to The Truth About Pet Food and purchase “The List” , A yearly list of pet foods wherein:
- All companies provided verification to:
- human grade food ingredients;
- human grade supplements (if applicable);
- organic ingredients (if applicable);
- and meats sourced from humanely raised animals (if applicable).
The Types of Food to Feed In Order of Best to Worst
- A complete, balanced home-prepared Species-Appropriate Raw or cooked diet.
- Commercially prepared frozen complete Raw diet
- Commercially prepared dehydrated/freeze-dried complete diet
- Human-grade canned & kibble
- Super-premium kibble
I believe all foods should be:
- Organic if possible
- Free-range (pastured) meat
- Sourced within the U.S. or Canada, or New Zealand
- No food you feed your dog should include corn, wheat, soy, or oats.
- No food should list unnamed meat sources (e.g., “meat meal”, “meat by-products”). The first 6 ingredients listed on the dog food are the most important.
Switch food brands/manufactures and protein sources often. This is the best way to be certain your dog is receiving a well-balanced diet.
I now feel the quality of ingredients and the freshest possible ingredients is most important and a bag of processed dry dog food is not it any of these things.
Commercial Raw and/or Dehydrated Dog Foods/Freeze Dried (First choice for your dog or puppy):
This list changes frequently and they change their recipes, go in and out of business, etc. So these are a few suggestions at the time of this writing. (May ’23). It is so important that you become educated on what makes a good dog food or not.
- Stewart Freeze-Dried Food
- All Provide Raw
- Raised Right Fresh Human-Grade Dog Food
- Instinct Raw Freeze-Dried
- Dr. Marty’s Nature’s Blend Healthy Growth
- Stella & Chewy’s Chicken & Salmon Puppy Patties
- BJ’s Raw Puppy Mix
- Open Farm
- Orijen Puppy
- Open Farm Puppy
- Northwest Naturals
Human-grade Canned Dog Foods
Human-grade canned dog foods can be an excellent addition, so if you have more money than time, human-grade canned foods are an excellent addition.
- Farmina N&D Pumpkin, Lamb, Pumpkin & Blueberry Starter & Puppy Wet
Note: I sometimes use affiliate links wherein if you purchase using one of the links, I receive a small referral fee which is of no extra cost to you whatsoever. I only recommend or affiliate with products or companies I’ve tried myself.