My mission is to help you have a healthier dog and breeders to raise healthier Llewellin Setters puppies through educational content based on over twenty years raising, training, and breeding Llewellin Setters. To help support these efforts, this page may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
I saw this on a forum and just had to share it. It seems the origin is unknown.
You might be a grouse hunter if …
- Nobody knows where you really hunt
- Only your wife (or husband) has the GPS coordinates for Search & Rescue
- She/he could care less
- Obviously you know what “ruffed” means
- You’ve ever successfully pulled off a “shot from the hip”
- The floorboard of your truck is covered with empties
- The side pockets on the doors of your truck are full of empties
- The dashboard has 2 left-handed gloves
- There’s a bottle of Ibuprofen in the glove box
- The top of the dresser is covered with empties
- Your legs lock up in the middle of the night
- Your hands don’t heal up till Easter
- You like a dog with “ticks”
- You don’t mind being alone (actually prefer it)
- Your favorite pants have never been washed
- You miss a lot
- You don’t care that you miss a lot
- You’ve been “turned around” but never lost
- You know how to use a compass
- Your dog box is in the back of your truck year-round
- Your dog rides in the cab with you (and locks-up between the back and front seats on the prettiest points on Robins on the power-lines overhead…eh Hatch and Dan, you know who you are…)
- At least one of your kids has ridden in the dog box
- Your hat falls off a lot
- Your dog can “hunt dead” for a lost glove
- You can say “King Ruff” & “Thunder King” with a straight face
- You’ve ever traded a deer rifle in on a shotgun
- You keep pictures of your dog at the office (or in your wallet, on your cell-phone, or as your computer wallpaper)
- You can’t wait for the leaves to fall
- You think strip mines look kinda nice
- You’ve ever slept on the couch with a setter pup
- You keep finding feathers on the floor
- You find dog hair in your cereal
- Your dogs wear “jingle bells” on Christmas
- You’re tired of hearing, “You hunt what??”
- You keep shooting at the birds even after you can’t see them anymore
- Have one leg longer than the other from walking on the sides of them d%^&& hills in PA (or MI or ME)…
- Have a Gazetteer and County map book on your dashboard
- Dinner is a bag of Doritos and a few beers (or a cup of coffee)
- Have had a dog point a bear, skunk, deer or rabbit
- If you harvest more timber with a load of 7.5’s then the local timber company does. This is known as the Dolmeyer Phenomenon
- When someone shuffles a deck of cards and you instinctively shout “grouse”
- You understand that clear cutting is beneficial for wildlife.
- When it comes to shooting grouse my motto is “spray and pray”
- And when people asked how many birds you got you reply, “I got three,” never telling them they were timber doodles
We can all add a few to that, couldn’t we?
- When considering purchasing a vehicle, it has to be able to fit your 10-hole dog topper, all your gear, pull the dog trailer, and get good gas mileage?
- part of every paycheck goes for the savings for the fall hunting trips, new astro collar, new dog box, gun, or shells?
- The only latin you know is Bonasa umbellus
Now, it’s your turn to add some!
- You are constantly getting questions from the neighbors asking what your dog doing when he is pointing a bird in the yard.
- You are always getting comments, “Boy does that dog have a lot of energy!”
- You call the dog “brown eyes” in front of the wife … and have to take her on a cruise to get her over it. 🙂 🙂